Fly fishing is an extremely satisfying sport that’s enjoyed by a huge number of anglers all over the world. Not only does the sport have different areas in terms of the fish that are being hunted, but fly fishing can take place on almost any water that you like. In this guide, we’re going to have a look at some of the main characteristics that you should be sure a kayak has before buying if you’re planning on using it for fly fishing. We’ll also provide a number of reviews on the best fly fishing kayaks available. If you’re looking for a kayak that’s optimized for river use, why not check out our guide to the best river fishing kayaks here too?
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 – Best Fly Fishing Kayak
In terms of a high-quality all-around fly fishing kayak, the Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 is an option that’s very hard to argue with. One of the main points that’s important to look for in a fly fishing is stability. A good level of stability is dependent on the width of the boat. The Tamarack Angler 100 is 31 inches wide and is therefore very stable indeed. When you’re casting or reeling in a fish, you can be sure that the boat won’t be moving uncontrollably from side to side.
The Tamarack Angler 100 is also 10 feet long – this slightly shorter than average size means that the boat is ideal for moving into smaller spaces that are commonly found on smaller rivers and lakes. It’s easy to maneuver and control. If you’re looking for a boat that’s not going to be difficult to move around in some tighter fishing spots, the Tamarack 100 won’t disappoint.
In terms of convenience when you’re fishing, well, this is exactly what the Tamarack Angler 100 was designed for – the boat is equipped with a wealth of add-ons and extras that make fly fishing whilst onboard extremely easy and enjoyable. It’s got two-rod holders that are within easy reach of the seat, as well as another mount holder that makes for a great place to rest your rod whilst you’re busy with something else.
Key Points To Note
- At 31” wide, the Tamarack Angler has excellent stability that’s good to know when you’re casting or bringing a large catch in
- Lightweight at 52 pounds
- Three rod supports
- Ample storage – in addition to two storage areas that are large and secured by bungee cord, the Tamarack Angler 100 has two waterproof storage compartments that are perfect for stowing away smaller/more valuable items
- Comfortable – the Angler 100 is fitted with an adjustable seat that’s well padded. The footrests can also be adjusted to suit your height and preference
- Good tracking
- Excellent Manoeuvrability – at only 10 feet long, the boat is easy to turn around and navigate into smaller areas
- Warranty of five years
Sun Dolphin Bali SS
The Sun Dolphin Bali SS is another high-quality sit on the top fly fishing kayak. In terms of both the build quality and features, you’ll soon see why we’ve included the Sun Dolphin Bali SS in our guide of best fly fishing kayaks.
As is an important feature in any good fly fishing kayak, te Bali SS excels in the area of stability. It’s very durable too – being constructed from polyethylene, the kayak isn’t easily badly affected by water and sunlight. However, it’s not advisable to store the boat in direct light for the best lifespan.
One of the areas that this Sun Dolphin excels in is weight and portability. Even though the Bali SS is indeed a hard shell kayak, it is ridiculously light at a mere 40 lbs. It’s lighter than even some inflatable alternatives! It’s very easy to carry around even when out of the water. One of the things we love about this boat is that it offers a lot of the advantages of an inflatable boat, but with all of the advantages of a hard shell too.
As you’ll know if you’re looking for a fly fishing kayak, a good amount of storage on board the kayak is desirable. Not only can storage be ideal for keeping your equipment, waterproof storage id often essential for items such as phones and valuables that you wouldn’t want to get wet. The Sun Dolphin Bali SS has storage areas towards the front and back of the boat, as well as a water-resistant storage hatch within easy reaching distance of the seat.
Another point that’s great on the Bali SS is its scope for customization. If you’d like to use the Bali SS for fly fishing, it’s extremely easy to add extra pieces of equipment such as rod mounts and holders to the boat. This capability combined with the storage and easy overall usability of the boat make the Bali SS a great choice for fly fishing.
Key Points To Note
- Extremely lightweight at just 40 pounds
- Excellent storage availability
- Can have a number of customizations added on for fly fishing easily
- Stable at 10 feet in length and 30 inches in width
- Good tracking
- UV-Stabilized Polyethylene – colour loss from sun exposure is less common as a result of this
- Highly Durable
- Load Capacity of 250 pounds
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 – Best River Fly Fishing Kayak
The Tarpon 100 is a fantastic option for a fly fishing kayak. It’s kitted out with mounting rails that are ideal for positioning anything you might like to facilitate your fly fishing. For example, on these, you could mount rod rests, holders, transducers, just about anything you want really!
The Tarpon 100 is 10 feet in length, It’s, therefore, the perfect length for moving into those harder to access areas when you’re fishing. For example, you might want to get out of the rapids on a river or into a tighter corner of a lake – the Tarpon 100 is the perfect length to do so.
If you’re out on the water for an extended period of time, you want to be sure that you’re in a comfortable position. The Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 is extremely comfortable, being kitted out with one of the most comfortable cockpits on the market. The Tarpon 100 boasts the “AirPro” seating. It’s extremely well-supported and is sure to see you through a day of fishing without any unwanted aches.
Storage on the Tarpon 100 is ample. There’s a storage area that you can secure larger items into at the rear of the boat, as well as two water-tight storage hatches in front of the paddler.
Some Key Points
- Highly Manoeuvrable at 10 feet in length
- Lightweight at 55 pounds
- Great for fly fishing – in addition to being manoeuvrable and portable, the Tarpon 100 has rails that fly fishing accessories can be easily attached on to. Customizing the Tarpon 100 to exactly suit your needs is not a difficult task
- Good storage options (both wet and dry)
- Well balanced due to relatively flat hull
- Comfortable – features excellent support and “AirPro” seating
- Durable – the boat is made from rotomolded, dense polyethylene
- One year warranty period
Intex Explorer K2 – Cheap Tandem Inflatable Fly Fishing Kayak
Before we get into some of the more specific points of the Explorer K2 and what it has to offer, there’s one very obvious difference between the K2 and the rest of the kayaks that we’ve included in our guide – it’s inflatable!
Since the K2 is inflatable, it’s able to offer a wealth of differences and advantages over traditional hard-shelled boats. It’s perfect if you don’t have a lot of storage or transportation space – even though the K2 expands to be over 11 feet long, it’s very small when deflated and packed away, easily being able to fit into the boot of a car or bag. If you’re worried about the dirability of the K2 since it’s inflatable, there’s absolutely no need to be. The K2 has been constructed from extremely strong 30-gauge vinyl in conjunction with very hardwearing nylon. There’s no need to have any concerns about durability/puncturing with this boat.
For storing any additional luggage or equipment that you might have whilst out fishing, there’s space behind the rear passenger as well as in front of the front-most passenger.
Some Key Points
- Extremely cost-effective fly fishing kayak
- Comfortable seating that’s perfect for longer trips
- Good storage
- Can carry up to 400 pounds of load capacity
- Extremely portable and easy to store
- More than one air chamber – the entire boat won’t deflate in the unlikely event of a puncture
- Paddles and Air Pump for inflation are included as standard
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler – Fly Fishing Kayak Built For Speed
The Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 is the longest fly fishing kayak in our guide. Whilst this means that it may not be quite as maneuverable in smaller areas of water, it offers a lot of advantages that its shorter counterparts cannot. Of course, these advantages are very much dependant on the type of fly fishing that you like to do, as well as the kinds of waters that you’ll most commonly be navigating.
At 13 feet long, the Prowler 13 Angler is fantastic for speed and touring. If you tend to cover a bit of distance whilst you’re out fly fishing, the Prowler 13 Angler will allow you to do so with ease and in comfort. Due to the longer length and ever-so-slightly narrower dimensions, the tracking abilities of the boat are excellent. However, t=overall stability is not compromised to achieve this which is great.
Storage options on the Prowler 13 Angler is great too. It’s got a large hatch at the front of the boat that’s covered, as well as a waterproof hatch close to the seat, and a further large storage area at the rear of the boat that has bungees for securing anything that you place here. The different types of storage on the boat all serve their own purposes when out fishing – the small hatch that’s close to the seat is perfect for keeping your smaller valuables safe. The further covered hatch is ideal for storing items that you’d like to keep sheltered, such as additional reels and tackle. The large bungee storage area at the back of the boat is great for larger items that you’re not likely to need whilst you’re fishing.
For convenience when you’re fishing, the Prowler 13 Angler also has two rod holders and a cup holder, If you’d like to take a break from fishing and relax, have lunch, or take in the scenery, these are the perfect places for leave your rod.
Some Key Points
- Extra length at 13 feet – the Prowler is well-suited to moving through the water at high speed. It’s perfect for comfortably covering a longer distance.
- Excellent storage options – there’s plenty of space on board the Prowler 13 Angler for storing extra tackle and equipment
- Versatile – the boat is able to handle different types of water
- Great for fishing – in addition to the wealth of storage, the boat also has rod holders and a cup holder
Perception Kayak Pescador Pro
The Perception Kayak Pescador Pro is a sit on top kayak that’s 12 feet in length. If you’re looking for a stable boat to take out fly fishing, the Pescador Pro is just that. It’s 32.5” in width, and is therefore very stable.
The Pescador Pro has both wet and dry storage options, as well as plenty of space that you can attach your equipment to should you want to. It’s also very comfortable, the seat is adjustable as well as the footrests. Getting yourself into a comfortable position whilst fishing is easy.
Some Key Points
- Perfect for fly fishing – there’s plenty of space to attach accessories. There’s rod mounts too
- Ample storage
- Extremely stable – the kayak’s 12 feet long and 32.5” wide